Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What is your ideal Christmas?

"There is no ideal Christmas; only the one Christmas you decide to make as a reflection of your values, desires, affections, and traditions." - Bill McKibben

As Christmas approaches, I've had plenty of time to reevaluate what the day means to me and what I can personally do to make it enjoyable without going overboard. No, my home is not featured on the front of a magazine, nor is my tree so tall I need a ladder to place the ornaments at the top, and you won't find a fancy place setting for each of my guests.

What I do have is a home that welcomes anyone who may stop by. A home that is decorated with items which I've handcrafted with pride. The smell of freshly baked goods to tempt the taste buds. Our tree was decorated by a 4 year old since the ornaments don't have to be strategically placed to have the perfect tree, and our fine china is paper plates cause the last thing I want to do is miss any precious moments of the time I could spend with my family.

I love Christmas and I love what Christmas is all about. Not the gifts that we may exchange, but the love and joy that being together brings. Ya know, that warm fuzzy feeling inside that a nice cup of cocoa gives you when you've come in from the cold.


Godspeed

No comments: